Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Martinez


So, I feel sorta weird when I talk about A Martinez now. I have a small degree of separation from him, as one of my closest friends actually counts him among her own closest friends. Growing up, he was one of my idols. . .although that's not the right word. Role model? Idealistic dream? Somebody I admired? Maybe a little of all. Not so much a fantasy. . .but definitely somebody that reached "heartthrob" status in my world. Not necessarily to the same degree that people fawn over, say, Taylor Lautner or Johnny Depp, but at any point that I can remember, he was among those who I would count as my favorite entertainers.

My first encounter with A was obviously as Cruz Castillo on the soap Santa Barbara (see other blog for more on that). Even as a pre-teen, I knew there was something special. I devoured articles on him. I watched SB when my parents had forbidden it. I soaked up the sight of him on Soap mags in the grocery stores, and would wander the store reading the articles while dodging my mother. I can't think of another person who I was so into that I would do that, much less somebody that would still make me walk the store, reading an article.

Cruz was the perfect man. Sure, he had faults, but don't ask me to name them. When I think of Cruz, I think of A, and when I think of A, I think of Cruz. I can see Cruz in every character that A portrays. Maybe that's because he's almost always the hero, the cop, the strong man helping out the lady in distress. But maybe it's because A puts so much of who he really is in every character he brings to life. Marcy Walker said it best by saying about A: "I know him, like I know Cruz."
Cruz loved Eden. He loved her and knew when to let her go live her life. He knew what to say and how to say it and he knew when he'd been pushed too far. A, as an actor, knew when he was being asked to play something that he knew was not plausible (ala, Robert Barr's intrusion, played by the wonderful Roscoe Born), how to make it real for the audience. He knew how to bring grief into appropriate places, and how to make things real. It's because of Cruz that Cruz & Eden were the most memorable of the so-called Super Couples.

An odd tangent on Super Couples for a second. We've all heard of Luke and Laura. The first, the ultimate soap couple. Then there is Josh & Reva (stupid Kim Zimmer ruined my beloved SB, ha!). Jack & Jenn, Patch & Kayla, Ryan & Vicky, Greg & Jenny, Shane & Kim, Mason & Julia, Bo & Hope, need I go on? There were awesome, tragic, wonderful stories. The stories that are Epic, spanning years, breaking hearts (to paraphrase Logan from Veronica Mars). I had my favorites, but none of them were as poignant to me as the love story of Cruz & Eden. Why?

Most of the things put before Cruz and Eden were somewhat believable. They, unlike most other people in soapdom, did not go around sleeping with everybody in town. As a matter of fact, for the exception of a couple of incidents beyond their control (Cruz & Tori, for example), and other marriages or flashbacks from before they were together, there was no sex outside of their relationship. Of course, there was sex in their relationship. Early on, there is one day in soapdom (sometimes days can last for weeks of episodes), on SB where Cruz & Eden "do it" about five times, and I only know that because they are donning and shedding the same clothes. ..but I digress. Anyway, so they knew they loved each other. They knew they belonged together. And so even when things kept them apart, they stayed true to that.

Sure, Kirk Cranston wasn't that believable, but the idea that Eden may marry him to protect her true love, is. Sure, Santana is not that believable, but Cruz marrying her when he can't have Eden, that is. Sure, Eden disappeared when her deranged half-sister arranged for her to do so, but Cruz stayed in his grief long enough for her to return home. My point is, A made this all believable. It didn't matter that a house on the beach in Santa Barbara would not be affordable on a policeman's salary, A made you believe that it was affordable. He was a good friend to people, even when he shouldn't be (what the heck was the Cain thing about?). He protected his family, at all costs. He was a man's man, a one woman man, and a gentleman.

A has an appearance on Criminal Minds tonight. I enjoy seeing him play characters on tv, although I wish he were still on regularly. I'm sure he's getting ready to retire at some point, though. I loved him on CSI. I loved him on Huff. I loved him on LA Law and again on the Profiler. I loved him in each Lifetime movie he ever was in. I loved him in the early stuff he did, including Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys, Incredible Hulk and Remington Steel. I loved him in PowWow Highway and Once Upon a Wedding. A has the ability to make even the smallest role seem important to the movie or story he is part of. And this is why he resonates to me today.

All I can say is, I hope to see A, the wonderful actor, in a regular job. I would love to see him have a role on a medical show, that lasts, or a criminal show. Or maybe even a sitcom of sorts. I would love to see A put out another CD. But ultimately, I am grateful for having been touched by his talent. I am lucky enough to have participated in a single one on one chat, as well as a couple of group chats with him, and I can attest that he is just as gracious as any of the characters he has played.

1 comment:

  1. Well said! A really is a one of a kind "celebrity", isn't he? You're absolutely right, too, Cruz and Eden were such a hit, because of Cruz. I loved the line Cruz said in the early days, "I built this relationship from the ground up." And he did.

    The most surprising thing about A is how gracious he is and how humble. You don't find that often in that kind of business. Criminal Minds was a bit of a let down, but about 15 minutes into the show, I had to turn anyway, because the storyline was way too intense for my enjoyment!

    ReplyDelete